I have learned a few tricks to stretch the laundry budget. Here are a few tips:
- Stock up on detergent, softener, pre-treater and anything else you use when it is on sale (and of course, pair with a coupon!). For example, if you like ALL detergent, print two of this $1/1 coupon (allowed 2 prints per computer) and pair with the sale at CVS this week (6/13/10) where ALL detergents are $4.xx/bottle down from $8.xx.
- Use half the amount of softener you'd normally use.
- Add plain white vinegar to the wash (I add it just like I would add bleach but the vinegar will not bleach clothes). Vinegar acts as a softening agent PLUS it deodorizes fabrics. It makes your softener and detergent work harder.
- If you use dryer sheets, go ahead and try using half a sheet. I could do this for several loads in a row since there is so much residue on the inside of the drum anyway.
- When transferring clothes from washer to dryer, separate all items and shake some of the wrinkles out. The clothes will dry better and wrinkle less PLUS air can circulate better and need less energy to dry.