Monday, June 14, 2010

Money Minute - Laundry: Stretching the Softener

Ok - y'all know I am a tight-wad.  Things get really bad when it comes to laundry.  I have been known to cut dryer sheets in half to stretch the box - not just any dryer sheets, the bargain basement discount generic sheets!

I have learned a few tricks to stretch the laundry budget.  Here are a few tips:
  • Stock up on detergent, softener, pre-treater and anything else you use when it is on sale (and of course, pair with a coupon!). For example, if you like ALL detergent, print two of this $1/1 coupon (allowed 2 prints per computer) and pair with the sale at CVS this week (6/13/10) where ALL detergents are $4.xx/bottle down from $8.xx.
  • Use half the amount of softener you'd normally use.  
  • Add plain white vinegar to the wash (I add it just like I would add bleach but the vinegar will not bleach clothes).  Vinegar acts as a softening agent PLUS it deodorizes fabrics.  It makes your softener and detergent work harder.
  • If you use dryer sheets, go ahead and try using half a sheet.  I could do this for several loads in a row since there is so much residue on the inside of the drum anyway.
  • When transferring clothes from washer to dryer, separate all items and shake some of the wrinkles out.  The clothes will dry better and wrinkle less PLUS air can circulate better and need less energy to dry.
What tricks do you use to save on laundry costs?

3 comments:

Lynnette said...

I like the vinegar tip. I use borax currently for washing diapers or bedding and jammies that have been wet on. I will have to give the vinegar a try. I read an article recently about using less detergent. If you have suds- too much. Most clothes have a detergent residue and we can find out if they do by running them in the wash without any detergent and seeing if the water gets sudsy. I'm looking for a cheap alternatve for stain sprays/sticks. I ought to be able to make something with my borax, but haven't figure it out yet. Any ideas?

Erin Rickert said...

I make my own laundry soap for pennies. Saves me tons. And I make my own dryer sheets too.

Deborah said...

Erin - how do you make dryer sheets?

Post a Comment

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.
Related Posts with Thumbnails