Friday, March 19, 2010

Kmart Bummer - Pulled Coupon


Well, I love the super doubles that Kmart has, but other than that, I am not a fan of Kmart or Sears. Last fall, Sears put out a clothing coupon. The company intended it for a select audience but didn't word the coupon appropriately so the coupon allowed anyone to use it. Sears wasn't happy, and without any warning, pulled the coupon. I went to use mine and was made to feel like a criminal for using a coupon that was pulled (it was meant to be just for certain magazine subscribers, but the magazine online version had no way to limit the coupon). My store hadn't received any information from Sears other than to not accept the coupon.

Now we have the same situation again. The $10/$20 Kmart coupon (same company) that was released yesterday appears to have been pulled. The coupon was available through the regular Kmart homepage. The thinking so far is that it was intended for certain markets. Well, why did Kmart issue a coupon stating "good at ANY Kmart location?"

My feeling is that there are PLENTY of ways to limit coupon use - coupons can be made so there are print limits per computer and per coupon. They can be made with all individual bar codes. They can be internet coupons only or circular coupons only - whatever the store decides. The coupon can say what specific markets are intended. The company can restrict coupons any way they wish.

I don't understand why Sears/Kmart is lazy about issuing their coupons (the Kmart coupon in question was issued as a pdf file with no print limits just the limit of one coupon per transaction) and then pulling the coupons as soon as they are used. If Kmart/Sears is concerned about keeping/gaining customers, they really need to get their act together and do coupons correctly rather than randomly pulling coupons because of their laziness in creating them.

Just my two cents. After the Sears coupon incidence, I complained to the company. I got a 20% off coupon in the mail (with TONS of restrictions) that I ended up unable to use - too many restrictions.

If I hear any other chatter, I will be sure to update. I am disappointed. This coupon had such a long expiration date. I had such plans for it!

How do you feel about this situation?

4 comments:

Deborah said...

To know that they have had this same problem in the past is frustrating. Their marketing team needs to hire some new consultants to make sure this doesn't happen again. They will loose credibility with continued errors such as this one.

Anonymous said...

Did you actually try to use it at the St Clairsville, OH store? I'm wondering if it's worth the gas to drive there...

Audra Michelle said...

I did not try it, but stores all over the country are telling people that usage is fraud. Here's what Kmart posted on their facebook page:

Kmart A coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase has had unauthorized circulation and we have had to stop accepting it at most stores. The coupons will still be honored in the intended stores in the New York, Baltimore and Chicago area. We regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers. Thank you for your continued patronage... and we do look forward to sharing other deals and offers with you in the future.

Mountain Momma said...

This really has nothing to do with your post (sorry) although I do agree with you. I just started a new blog and am from WV also. I thought you might be interested in my content. Come over and take a gander and if you like what you see become a follower and frequent it. I am going to add you to my feed reader since I'm always looking to support WV bloggers as well as find deals in our area (they seem hard to come by) www.mountaineermoneysaver.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.
Related Posts with Thumbnails