Monday, February 8, 2010

Ordering Eyeglasses Online - How it Works


So, I just ordered a really cute pair of glasses for $8 total plus $4.95 shipping.  How?  By using an online optical place!  I have had many people ask me many questions after my initial post yesterday and I hope to answer some of those questions today!

I decided to order through the company Zenni Optical.  I had heard many people in chat rooms mention that they loved the service and quality.  Also, for $8, I can take a little risk!  Here is what Zenni Optical offers:
All of Our Eyeglass Orders Including
our $8.00 Eyeglasses Have

  • High quality stylish frame

  • Thin and Light  1.57 index lens

  • Anti Scratch Coating

  • Full UV Protection

  • Lens edge polishing and beveling

  • Quality Hard Eyeglass case

  • Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth

  • Full Guarantee

  • Complete Single Vision Eyeglasses starting at $8.00
    Complete Bi-Focal Eyeglasses Starting at $25.00
    Complete Progressive Eyeglasses starting at $37.00
    Anti Scratch coating Free
    UV protection Free
    Lens Edge polishing and Beveling Free
    Upgrades
    Premium Photochromic lenses for
    (Clear indoors, darkens outdoors in sunlight )
    $39.00
    Upgrade to 1.61 index lenses for $17.00
    Upgrade to 1.67 index lenses for $37.00
    Premium anti reflective coating $4.95
    Sunglass color tint coating (7 available) $4.95
    I decided to stick with just the $8 glasses even though I know with my script, I'd benefit from the thinner lenses - maybe next time.   I was pleased to see that:  "Our Shipping and Handling Charge is only a flat  $4.95 per order, no matter how many glasses in the order."

    The Process:
    1. I went to my eye doctor for an exam (covered under vision insurance for just a $10 copay).  I asked to take my script with me which wasn't a problem at all.
    2. I spent some time trying on frames at Walmart and LensCrafters to get an idea of what I liked and what looked good on me.  I mean, it's been SEVEN years since I've gotten glasses!
    3. I had my pupiliary distance measured for free at Walmart - this was the one number missing from my script.  The Zenni Optical website even walks you through how to measure yourself at home.  Walmart was more than happy to help me out even though they did give me funny looks....
    4. I measured my current frames and took note of any measurements on frames I tried on (some frames have measurements on the stems or on the tags).
    5. I used all the above information to peruse the Zenni Optical catalog.
     As you can see from this picture, the listings in the catalog contain a lot of important information.

    I learned that with my small pupiliary distance, I had to choose smaller width frames or else the lenses couldn't be cut to suit my vision.  Although these zebra frames were high on my list, I needed to try to stay around 130mm or less for the frame width for the best fit (I currently wear childrens frames).  Many styles come in various sizes, so make sure you check out the "Variable Size" link on the left of the Zenni Optical page.


    Once I chose my frame, I clicked on it for more info.  At the bottom of the page I could view other color options for my frame style.  You will see in this picture how you enter your script information.  It is laid out just like the paper with my prescription on it from the doctor.
    The first frame I chose alerted me after entering my information that my pupiliary distance would not work with that frame after I entered my information.  The frame I chose (the one pictured above here) worked just fine.  Once I added my glasses to my cart, I entered my information and submitted.  I received a confirmation email within seconds.  I should have my glasses in about 2 weeks!


    Would you consider ordering online?  What are the pros and cons for you?  What reservations do you have?  Have you ordered glasses on line before?  I'd love to hear your story!

    BlogPlay

    Share your links easily.
    Related Posts with Thumbnails