Thursday, March 4, 2010

Money Minute: Saving on Home Decorating


Recently, I found a blog that I love to read - Mamma Loves to Save!  Erin was kind enough to write this post for me!  Here is a little about her - make sure you check out her blog!

I am a executive turned stay at home and work from home mom in Oklahoma.  I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 1.  I love the thrill of the bargain hunt!

Saving on home decorating:

My family recently moved into a new home. The home needed (and still needs) lots of renovations needed and double the square footage of out old house. With windows uncovered and lots of furniture still needed, here are a few places I look to save money on home decorating:

Walmart - don't be fooled by the name! They have stepped up their home furnishings game to compete with the other stores. Check Walmart.com for special, online exclusive items that aren't carried in stores.

Thrift Stores and Antique Malls - Even small towns have these places to scour for the rare find. I found a great, retro floor lamp at a local antique mall recently on sale for $18. It looks great in our living room and is much cheaper than what I would have paid for a new lamp.

Target - Most of us love their home furnishings already, but check for sales and free shipping offers to sweeten the deal!

Let your Kids decorate the Walls - Really! Use those high value coupons for Hobby Lobby or Michael's to purchase some canvases. You paint the background a solid color of your choice and let the kids paint with 1 or 2 colors on top. My kids, 3 years old and 17 month old just painted a set of 3 canvases for their bathroom. We even used leftover house paint from our remodel! They look great and the boys love seeing their artwork.

Overstock.com - Overstock has super cheap, and often free shipping on EVERYTHING. This includes large sofas, beds and other furniture. Read the reviews of other buyers to pick out the best items for you.

*** Always go through Ebates to get cash back on any of your online purchases.

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.
Related Posts with Thumbnails