Saturday, June 26, 2010

Money Minute - Haircuts at Home

I hate spending money - especially when it seems that money just goes down the drain.  I just can't bring myself to pay for my own haircuts.  The last cut that was in a salon was right after Buggy was born nearly two years ago - and that was a WALMART haircut!  My hair just grows freakishly fast.  I would need to have it cut again in 3-4 weeks.  Too rich for my blood!

To save some money, we've done home haircuts.  For years, Hubby wore his hair clipped to nearly bald.  I got a good set of clippers and clipped him every few weeks.  I'll be cutting our kids hair at home as well (I just can't bring myself to cut Buggy's baby mullet yet!).



Tweezerman Stainless 2000 Styling Shears


How do I cut my OWN hair?  This is what I do:
  • I keep a simple style - long and just slightly layered.  My hair is hopelessly straight.
  • I use several mirrors.  Our shower doors are mirrors so I use them plus a vanity top mirror.
  • I use good scissors.
  • I cut when hair is damp not wet and fix errors when hair is dry.
  • I plan on the cut taking several days to get right.  
  • To get the back, I either set my length as close to the back as I can and have someone else cut the back to length or just keep pulling segments to the side as I turn my head to get it close then fix over the next few days.
  • I have watched the professional stylists add layers various ways and play around with tricks I have seen them try to see what I get.
  • MOST OF ALL - I am prepared to either walk around looking silly or pay for a professional cut if I mess it up.  It's just hair.  It will grow back.  Fast. Freakishly fast.
Do YOU do home haircuts?  What works for you?

    BlogPlay

    Share your links easily.
    Related Posts with Thumbnails