Friday, September 11, 2009

Reflections


Today has been very busy and I haven't had time to post much at all.  This post will be cross-posted on all blogs, but I feel it is important enough to be posted like that.

Eight years ago, our nation changed.  A horrific series of attacks changed the very core of who we are.  The sound of an airplane overhead has a whole different meaning.  Each anniversary, I am saddened at the memory.  It is so fresh - if hardly feels like eight years have passed.  

A few years before, I lived just miles from the Pennsylvania field as I was a camp cook and counselor.  I haven't gone back.  I don't think I can.  Just three years after the attack, we awoke to find a small plane had crash landed across the street from our home in Tennessee. 

Where were you on that fateful day?  I would love to hear your story.  Here's mine.

Hubby and I had just moved to Tennessee.  I had my first full-time teaching job in a middle school.  The day of the attack, I was welcoming my 8th grade choir.  They told me that we were under attack.  I thought they were pulling a prank on me.  What they said just sounded so unbelievable.  I was having a rocky year with this group and wouldn't be surprised by a prank, so we sang.  Class as usual.  Part way through class, the principal made an announcement and I turned on the tv to hear the news.  I honestly don't remember much after that.  I don't remember if we had an early dismissal.  I don't remember teaching any other classes.  I do remember going into my friend, Becky's, classroom to watch the news.  I remember an announcement asking us to turn off the tv's to help the kids cope better - I don't think anyone listened, we were all too frightened.  I know a lot of kids went home.  I remember watching the news all night, shaking.  For months after, news reports and rumors kept coming explaining how if there a nuclear attack, we would be high up on the list of probable targets due to our proximity to Oak Ridge labs.

I remember the panic.  I remember emergency kits being prepared for homes - grocery stores selling out of water and canned goods.  I remember the brave volunteers who traveled to New York and Pennsylvania to help.  I remember feeling panic each time the Air National Guard helecopters flew over en route to base.

I remember the flags hanging at every house.  I remember how America bonded and became stronger through the pain.  America has changed, but not all for the worse.  Remembering is painful, but we must Never Forget.

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.
Related Posts with Thumbnails