Thursday, May 28, 2009

Living with Intention


in⋅ten⋅tion⋅al

[in-ten-shuh-nl] –adjective
  1. done with intention or on purpose; intended
  2. of or pertaining to intention or purpose

in⋅ten⋅tion⋅al⋅i⋅ty, noun
in⋅ten⋅tion⋅al⋅ly, adverb


1. designed, planned. See deliberate.


1. accidental.

A few months ago, I was horrified at how time was sand slipping through my fingers. It hit me all of a sudden that my son wasn't going to remain a baby forever. He will grow. He will do. He will learn. He will leave. The time I have with this sweet boy in my care in this house is but a breath. I have been sitting back just waiting for something to happen, feeling as if I am on summer break. My "summer break" has lasted nearly a year now since I finished teaching. I'm not going back. It is up to me to structure my life and to live intentionally.

This series is preaching to the choir. God put this area of my life on my heart. I have succumbed to laziness. I have been a victim of the law of inertia - as in "an object at rest will stay at rest..." although I haven't felt like I have been resting. I spend a lot of time being busy but not getting much done. Organization has been out the window. The house has been a mess.

I need to be intentional - to be diligent in my role as a wife and mother. My first goal - be intentional with our menu. This month starts our car payments so money will be extra tight for awhile. It is time to stretch that dollar like never before. My goals in this area are:
  • plan a menu for all meals - 3 meals a day
  • incorporate more healthy and less processed elements into the menu
  • grocery shop no more than once per week (deal hunting is different as it normally does not use out of pocket money once you get started - I am using gift cards/ECB's from previous promotions and deals at CVS, Rite Aid, and Target)
  • spend $200 or less on groceries for the month (including paper goods and health/beauty items)
  • pay for groceries with CASH from an ENVELOPE
I am excited about one aspect of eating less processed food. I plan to try making bread again. I made our own bread for an entire summer once and LOVED doing it. The bread was so yummy and fresh and healthy. I no longer have a working mixer with bread hook, so until I get the food processor I want that does bread dough, I plan to try making artisan breads. Check HERE for recipes and instructions for super simple artisan breads!

I want to start getting to know those of you who read my ramblings. Let me know what areas you need to work towards being more intentional.

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.
Related Posts with Thumbnails